Transform Your Planters With Fall Foliage
We can all feel the last bit of warmth as Summer slips away, and if we notice that change in the air, you can bet your plants do too!
It is official – Fall is here! But what does this mean for your outdoor summer plants?
I’m not going to tell you to cast them aside like a bad relationship! If you still have some that look good, you can incorporate and transform your fall planter and keep the good times rolling – especially if it’s a trailing plant.
Grab your supplies and follow along with me!
What You Will Need:
- A large outdoor planter
- Potting soil
- Plants of your choice
- Decorative pieces of your choice
- Gardening gloves and a trowel (Optional)
8 Steps To Create The Perfect Fall Planter:
- Top up your planter with fresh Potting Soil.
- Working from the back to the front, place taller plants at the back – you don’t want to hide the smaller ones where no one will see them.
- Take your first medium-sized plant (I’m using some Ornamental Grass) and tuck it at the back of your planter. Lightly push the soil up around it, being careful not to push too hard and force the soil to become too dense.
- Take your next medium-sized plant (I’ve chosen Jerusalem Cherries – I love them for their orange and yellow balls and the pop of colour they add) and tuck it next to the first plant.
Pro Tip: Don’t plant straight up – instead, plant on a slight angle outward to make your planter look fuller and to give it some character!
- Your third plant should be shorter (I’m using some Ornamental Kale). You can place it in the centre of your planter and lightly pack the soil around it.
- Now choose some smaller plants to fill in the extra space. I recommend Heather, which comes in 4 assorted colours including hot pink, medium pink, pale pink and white.
- Balance this with small traditional fall Chrysanthemums by tucking them in the front and sides to fill in the extra spaces. Remember that you want to lightly pack down your soil.
- Add any additional Decorative Pieces or branches you would like, such as curly willow, dogwood or birch saplings. These are great to add some height and texture.
- The last step is to put your planter in its place, step back and enjoy your beautiful creation!
Are you interested in a DIY kit? Here are some of our top picks!
Are you interested in taking your DIY skills a step further and joining one of our workshops? Spaces are limited – reserve your place and let’s make something your neighbours will envy!
Check out our full selection of plants:
Hurry though, our plants and kits sell out fast!
Want to know when the latest shipments of plants, pots, decor and kits come in? Be the first to know by following us on Instagram!